Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Franklin v. Garfield Pre-Game and other random stuff

Tonight is my sports Christmas. For me, the Franklin v. Garfield basketball game at Franklin, is the most fun sporting event of the year. It's basically what I live for. Everything that I love about sports, boiled down into one two and half hour experience. I call it an experience because that is what it is. With the music, the hype, the tradition, the rivalry, the love, the hate, and everything else, it adds up to be the most electric atmosphere for sports that I have ever been a part of. I don't want to blow my whole load before the game even happens, but I just wanted to preview the game, and let everyone know that there will be a full recount of the game coming later tonight. I plan to blog my brains out for this one.

On a few other random notes, I want to talk a little about the Seahawks, the Monday Night game, and the new best open gym in Seattle.

- First off, the Hawks. Four in a row baby. This pass first, second and third offense is pretty effective, and now that it has succeeded against a mildly formidable opponent we can be pretty confident in it. The Eagles are pretty good, in fact they only lost to the Patriots by three. They lost to us by four. By that math, we are better than the Pats. So chew on that. It's delicious isn't it? Well, maybe we aren't exactly the Patriots, but we are looking pretty good, and that's pretty exciting especially if you think back to how we looked against the Steelers.

- Second, the Monday Night game. What an interesting plot twist the Pats season has taken. From demolishing everything and everyone in their path, to needing more luck than a leprechaun to beat the woeful Ravens. And then after the game, the Ravens players telling tales of cheating, and even potentially racist refs. It's one thing for the refs to be biased towards the team that is garnishing all the attention in the league. I don't want to say that I support the Patriots getting some calls in their direction, but I can certainly understand why they'd get the benefit of the doubt. They've been the best team all year, things are bound to bounce in their direction. But to hear about referees calling players on the Ravens, "boy". Antrell Rolle said that he was referred to as "boy" on at least 5 occasions by the refs. That is insane. I hope that more on this comes out in the next few days, and if those refs were acting like that, I hope they the boot. You can't cheat for an already superior team, and degrade the opposing players all at the same time.

- And last, the newest and greatest open gym in Seattle...will be run by me. I convinced the AD at Franklin to allow me to have "golf conditioning" four nights a week in the North gym at Franklin. What does this mean? It means that all of my volunteer "golf coaches" (you all) get to come play basketball with me, and possibly some of my team members, Monday thru Thursday 8:30-10 pm. So, get at me if you wanna come play. I have to warn you though, if you come you face the very likely chance that I will cross you over and call you a name. I pull up from 30 feet like it's nothing, and I slapped on my brother twice last week. You've been warned.

FULL FQ v. G-Field coverage coming soon. Stay tuned.

No comments: