Friday, October 5, 2007

X-M's, Fausto, Bugs, Manny's Dong and the Reverse Bartman

Before we get to anything else, let's take our daily look at the X-M's and how they did in today's action.

Alex Rodriguez- 0-4, 3 K, no hits in his last 28 post season road at bats, second longest streak of all time, what a joke.
Asdrubal Crabrera- 0-4, 6 Runners left on base
Jason Veritek- 0-4, 2 runners left on base
David Ortiz- 1-1, 4 BB, 2 intentional walks, 2 R

Statistically a pretty bad day for all of the XM's, except for David Ortiz. But in my opinion it was a fabulous day. The Sox pulled into a 2-0 series lead, leaving the Angels one loss away from four months of thinking "what could have been." And, above all, the Yanks are down two, and A-Rod is one bad game away from being a Chicago Cub. What the hell is wrong with this guy? 0 for his last 28 road at bats, 4 for is last 47 overall post season at bats, and since he left the M's he hasn't had a decent post season. For being the best player in baseball, he isn't very good.

*Hilarious random stat that I hope you all noticed when watching the Yanks v. Angels game. The longest 0-fer streak in post season history is 30 at bats by Billy North, the next three...A-Rod, Dan Wilson and Rickey Henderson, all XM's. It's nice to be able to think about your favorite team while watching other teams in the playoffs, and with any luck, we will have one of our own on top of that list by Sunday night. Go A-Rod!!!

As for players who didn't ever have the privilege of wearing the navy and teal, Friday was a hell of a night for baseball. Fausto Carmona is my favorite pitcher in the post season, and not just because he carried my fantasy baseball team into the playoffs. His sinker is everything a sinker is supposed to be. He made A-Rod look like a fool four times, and he apparently he isn't bothered by bugs. Which brings me to my next point. That had to be one of the most disgusting things I have seen in a really long time. I had about a billion random thoughts during the three innings where the bugs were attacking the game. Here is a short list:

-Cleveland is an awful, horrible, gross place.
-Joba Chamberlain attracts bugs like a pile of shit.
-Was the bug spray they gave Joba actually attracting the bugs? After he sprayed that stuff on himself, he had more bugs on him than a Mexican taco truck.
-Why didn't the bugs affect Fausto? Maybe he likes it? Fausto is great.

The night game was even more fun for a lot of reasons. I am getting far too much pleasure out of watching the Angels get beat, but whatever, I have to feel better about the Mariners some how. (By the way, during the Sox/Angels game we got word that the M's fired all of their coaches except Jeff Pentland the hitting coach. Other than Pentland, the McLariners will have a whole new staff next year. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE HIRE NORM CHARLETON!!!)

The second best thing that happened in the game was what I will refer to as the "Reverse Bartman." This is a perfect example of how the Red Sox have the best fans in baseball. (I'm talking about the ones from Boston, not the teenie bopper "Red Sox Nation" douche bags who populate every other city in the country) I guarantee that if that was a Angel batter who popped up and Jason Varitek was in the stands trying to catch that ball, that kid would have gotten out of the way. But it wasn't. It was Manny, and that kid did exactly what he should have done. When the other team is in the stands, get in their way. And that is exactly what he did, and he made a pretty nice catch too. His play kept Manny alive, Manny walked, and the next batter drove in a run. That kid should get an RBI. Fifty bucks says he got laid because of that play, and that is why the Red Sox have the best home fans in baseball.

But the best thing that happened in the game was Manny's HUGE walk off. I had even more thoughts during this play than I did during Joba and the bugs, here they are:

-It's huge!!
-Why is he still standing there in the batters box? Doesn't he know that even though the game's over, he still has to run.
-Walking Pappi to get to Manny is like talking your way out of a fight with Evander Holifield so you can fight Mike Tyson, what's the difference, you're gonna get your ass kicked either way.
-Why is he still standing there with his hands in the air, somebody tell him he has to run.
-I couldn't hit a 5 iron as far as he hit that home run.
-It's really really big!
-I just got a text from Jonah expressing his thoughts on Manny's pipe.
-Is he still standing there?

-When was his last hair cut?
-That ball may cause a car crash....in Connecticut.
-Good he's running, or jogging very very slowly.
-If I could do what he just did, I'd stand in the batters box for twice that long. And if my hang down was as long as his, I'd take off my pants before I sauntered around the bases.

The best part of the whole thing though, was this: we were watching the game at Sport Restaurant near the Seattle Center, for a KJR event. We had a special section set up for people who wanted to watch the game with us, and win prizes and get their pictures taken with this huge bobble head doll named "Postseason Pete". Most of the people in the section were Red Sox fans, and by the time Manny pulled out on K-Rod, they were all good and drunk. By some crazy stroke of luck, Softy decided to start up a conversation with the ladies next to us about the size of, of all things, David Ortiz's piece. I don't think he knew how much this topic means to me, because before long I was giving a full on lecture about how Manny's is twice as long, 24 inches to be exact. After five minutes I had everyone in our section, about 20 people, calling him Manny two foot. And...when he hit his huge jack to end the game, all 20 of them chanted "Two Foot, Two Foot" for about two minutes. This is instantly one of the greatest moments I've had in my 3 years at KJR. It ranks right up there with the Too-Short experience, the Norm Charleton stories, and beating Dave Henderson (Hendu) in a putting contest for 20 bucks. My ultimate goal is to get as far as I can in the sports world while acting the same way I would in my living room with my friends, if things like this keep happening we're going all the way.

"Two Foot, Two Foot."

No comments: