Monday, March 10, 2008

Douche Bag of the Week

This weeks biggest douche bag has been on our list before, and will most likely be on it again. Only next time he'll probably either be unemployed or play for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Yes, this weeks biggest DB is the soon to be ex-Seahawk RB, Shaun Alexander. In a week where the Hawks went out and signed two running backs that are both younger, and have smaller contracts, Shaun Alexander appears to be on his way out of town. I don't know about you, but I couldn't take another year of dodging contact, missed blocks, and excuses. And as many memories as 37 has provided, the last two years have been increasingly frustrating. And while I do feel a little bit bad for the guy, I felt like one last Douche Bag of the Week award was the best way for Road to the Big Time to send him out.

Since most of the current Seahawks fans have only been fans since 2005, it is probably going to be pretty hard for them to imagine the Seahawks without Shaun. Let me be the first to tell you that it is going to be okay. Life will go on. You will love again. The first time Julius Jones runs for 100 yards and does the sprinkler dance you'll all forget about old Shaun What's His Name anyway. If you don't believe me, here is a story that might help you quantify the loss you are about to feel.

Growing up, many of us had dogs as pets. I had a small white retriever named Squirt. I got Squirt when I was seven, and he and I were best friends. He was fast, agile, great at fetch, and pretty good at sitting and rolling over too. But as Squirt got older, he became less and less able to do the every day dog activities that I was used to. Fetch went from an hour of fun and exercise, to one or two throws followed by lots of water and panting. And as hard as it was to admit that Squirt wasn't a puppy any more, my family and I came to grips with the fact that we may have to some day replace Squirt with a new puppy who could fetch.

The day my dad came home with Rover was a very strange day. Squirt was washing one of his arthritis pills down with about a gallon of water, when his entire world changed. One minute he was the center of our domestic world; Hours of petting, monthly trips to the vet, even the expensive food from the can. Who was this new dog? So young. So agile. Squirt didn't know exactly what was happening, but he was pretty sure that his run at the top maybe soon coming to an end.

Running backs are like dogs. Families, like football franchises, last for decades. Dogs, like running backs, last about 10 years. One day you are eating a milk bone in the den while getting your tummy rubbed, the next day you are in the back seat of the Le Baron on the way to the vet for a "shot".

Shaun Alexander is on his way to the vet...so to speak.

He was the first MVP in franchise history, he led us to our first ever Super Bowl appearance, we aren't going to forget him. But for the good of everyone involved, Shaun Alexander included, it is time to move forward. So whether you are sad to see him go, or you have waiting for this day for two years like me, pay the guy your respect. And hey, at least we aren't injecting him with an overdose of an anesthetic solution. Sorry Squirt.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Fragmentadora de Papel, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://fragmentadora-de-papel.blogspot.com. A hug.